Victoria records 445 new COVID cases as mystery cases climb

coronavirus,

Victoria has recorded 445 new local COVID-19 cases, as case numbers continue to soar throughout the state. Of the 445 new cases, 129 have been linked, meaning 316 are currently classed as mystery cases. There were 36,615 vaccinations administered and 42,694 tests received on Sunday. Details and locations of the cases will be revealed later today. IN OTHER NEWS: The new figures follow confirmation of a COVID-positive health worker travelling to Ballarat while infectious. Further testing in the Daylesford region has also not detected any further cases in Daylesford. There have not been any further exposure sites added in either region. The new figures come as COVID-19 continues to show greater signs of spreading into into the regions. There was a scare regarding traces of COVID-19 in waste water in Wimmera on Monday September 6, but no traces were found two days later. There are now more than 350 V/Line staff in quarantine amid an outbreak that has already resulted in six positive cases. Almost all regional trains have been replaced by coaches for an indefinite period. See where all the exposure sites are here. Meanwhile, a Melbourne school at the centre of a COVID-19 outbreak will be questioned amid claims it was operating at full capacity despite tough lockdown restrictions. Authorities are investigating the outbreak at Fitzroy Community School in Fitzroy North. The Department of Health on Monday night said 29 students and staff had contracted the virus, while there were 82 close contacts associated with the outbreak. There are about 60 students enrolled at the school, which describes itself as an “independent, alternative primary school”. Only children of permitted workers and those who are vulnerable are currently allowed to attend school in Melbourne, but the school had been inviting all parents to send their children to class. The school has been closed for deep cleaning, and it is believed the school will not reopen until all staff complete their 14-day quarantine. See the location of all the active cases here. Victoria recorded 473 new COVID-19 cases on Monday – the highest daily tally of the state’s latest outbreak – bringing the total number of active infections to 3507. All but 38 of the new infections reside in Melbourne’s northern and western suburbs, which are subject to a three-week vaccination blitz. Health Minister Martin Foley said 87 per cent of active cases were aged under 50, with 585 aged under 19. “This continues to be a pandemic of the young and the unvaccinated,” he told reporters on Monday. Mr Foley said 89 per cent of the 157 Victorians fighting COVID-19 in hospital were unvaccinated, while 11 per cent had received one dose. Monash Health, which operates a network of public hospitals, says it’s currently caring for six pregnant women with COVID-19. Four are in a dedicated COVID-19 maternity ward and two are in ICU. None are fully vaccinated, but one has had one dose. “We urge all pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers, and women trying to get pregnant to get vaccinated as soon as possible,” Monash Health said in a statement. “It is the best protection for them and their baby.” COVID-19 Commander Jeroen Weimar also said an increasing number of cases had also been linked to the construction industry, subject to a vaccination blitz and compliance crackdown from Monday. A prisoner at the Melbourne Remand Centre has also tested positive. The Stawell Times-News has removed the paywall from our stories relating to health warnings and safety of the community. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/34dXacDR8RguBkyLHxYXLhN/2f9f298f-3c86-4b07-9dfd-66e1080ab1c8.jpg/r9_0_3991_2250_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Victoria has recorded 445 new local COVID-19 cases, as case numbers continue to soar throughout the state.

Of the 445 new cases, 129 have been linked, meaning 316 are currently classed as mystery cases.

There were 36,615 vaccinations administered and 42,694 tests received on Sunday.

Details and locations of the cases will be revealed later today.

The new figures follow confirmation of a COVID-positive health worker travelling to Ballarat while infectious.

Further testing in the Daylesford region has also not detected any further cases in Daylesford.

There have not been any further exposure sites added in either region.

The new figures come as COVID-19 continues to show greater signs of spreading into into the regions.

There was a scare regarding traces of COVID-19 in waste water in Wimmera on Monday September 6, but no traces were found two days later.

There are now more than 350 V/Line staff in quarantine amid an outbreak that has already resulted in six positive cases.

Almost all regional trains have been replaced by coaches for an indefinite period.

See where all the exposure sites are here.

Meanwhile, a Melbourne school at the centre of a COVID-19 outbreak will be questioned amid claims it was operating at full capacity despite tough lockdown restrictions.

Authorities are investigating the outbreak at Fitzroy Community School in Fitzroy North.

The Department of Health on Monday night said 29 students and staff had contracted the virus, while there were 82 close contacts associated with the outbreak.

There are about 60 students enrolled at the school, which describes itself as an “independent, alternative primary school”.

Only children of permitted workers and those who are vulnerable are currently allowed to attend school in Melbourne, but the school had been inviting all parents to send their children to class.

The school has been closed for deep cleaning, and it is believed the school will not reopen until all staff complete their 14-day quarantine.

See the location of all the active cases here.

Victoria recorded 473 new COVID-19 cases on Monday – the highest daily tally of the state’s latest outbreak – bringing the total number of active infections to 3507.

All but 38 of the new infections reside in Melbourne’s northern and western suburbs, which are subject to a three-week vaccination blitz.

Health Minister Martin Foley said 87 per cent of active cases were aged under 50, with 585 aged under 19.

“This continues to be a pandemic of the young and the unvaccinated,” he told reporters on Monday.

Mr Foley said 89 per cent of the 157 Victorians fighting COVID-19 in hospital were unvaccinated, while 11 per cent had received one dose.

Monash Health, which operates a network of public hospitals, says it’s currently caring for six pregnant women with COVID-19.

Four are in a dedicated COVID-19 maternity ward and two are in ICU.

None are fully vaccinated, but one has had one dose.

“We urge all pregnant women, breastfeeding mothers, and women trying to get pregnant to get vaccinated as soon as possible,” Monash Health said in a statement.

“It is the best protection for them and their baby.”

COVID-19 Commander Jeroen Weimar also said an increasing number of cases had also been linked to the construction industry, subject to a vaccination blitz and compliance crackdown from Monday.

A prisoner at the Melbourne Remand Centre has also tested positive.

The Stawell Times-News has removed the paywall from our stories relating to health warnings and safety of the community. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.

Related Posts

Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Premium Content

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms bellow to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Add New Playlist

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?