Victoria records 246 new COVID cases for second consecutive day

Victoria has recorded 246 new COVID-19 cases overnight as regional Victoria waits for a possible easing of lockdown restrictions. Of the 246 new cases, 90 have been linked, meaning 156 are classed as mystery cases. It is the second day in a row where 246 cases were confirmed, both of which are the highest daily tallies of the year. There were 32,300 vaccinations administered and 43,858 tests received on Monday. Details and locations of the cases will be revealed later today. READ MORE: As of yesterday, the government said it was still hopeful of some easing of lockdown restrictions for regional Victoria at some stage this week. The new figures come after positive coronavirus fragments were detected in Ballarat’s wastewater. There remains just one exposure site in Ballarat, after a positive case attended Australian Catholic University last week. See where all the active cases are here. Meanwhile, a COVID-19 vaccination blitz of Victorian year 12 students will get underway after a dedicated hotline was flooded with calls. Victoria is aiming to get all year 12 students vaccinated with at least one dose before their final exams, as part of a 10-day priority access scheme beginning on Tuesday. Pfizer bookings opened for year 12 students, teachers, exam supervisors and assessors on Monday, with a dedicated hotline fielding 30,000 calls before lunch. By Monday afternoon, the health department said more than 7000 priority bookings had been made. See all the exposure sites here. Health Minister Martin Foley said the system had been “hammered” because of the “wild enthusiasm” of the cohort of about 50,000 students. COVID-19 commander Jeroen Weimar urged the group to remain patient, reminding year 11 students studying VCE subjects they had to wait until Wednesday to book. “Can I just assure every VCE student … there’s a dose set aside for you. There’s no frantic rush,” he said. Premier Daniel Andrews will this week outline a plan for Melbourne schools to reopen in term four, and he has also foreshadowed releasing parts of regional Victoria from lockdown. Melbourne will remain under tough lockdown restrictions until at least 70 per cent of eligible Victorians receive their first vaccine dose. The state has hit 60 per cent first dose coverage and is expected to reach the 70 per cent target by about September 19, sooner than the government anticipated. The Stawell Times-News has removed the paywall from our stories relating to health warnings and safety of the community. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.

/images/transform/v1/crop/frm/34dXacDR8RguBkyLHxYXLhN/860193d6-9ef8-4b4e-97b3-48c31cff6705.jpg/r9_0_3991_2250_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

UPDATED

Victoria has recorded 246 new COVID-19 cases overnight as regional Victoria waits for a possible easing of lockdown restrictions.

Of the 246 new cases, 90 have been linked, meaning 156 are classed as mystery cases.

It is the second day in a row where 246 cases were confirmed, both of which are the highest daily tallies of the year.

There were 32,300 vaccinations administered and 43,858 tests received on Monday.

Details and locations of the cases will be revealed later today.

As of yesterday, the government said it was still hopeful of some easing of lockdown restrictions for regional Victoria at some stage this week.

The new figures come after positive coronavirus fragments were detected in Ballarat’s wastewater.

There remains just one exposure site in Ballarat, after a positive case attended Australian Catholic University last week.

See where all the active cases are here.

Meanwhile, a COVID-19 vaccination blitz of Victorian year 12 students will get underway after a dedicated hotline was flooded with calls.

Victoria is aiming to get all year 12 students vaccinated with at least one dose before their final exams, as part of a 10-day priority access scheme beginning on Tuesday.

Pfizer bookings opened for year 12 students, teachers, exam supervisors and assessors on Monday, with a dedicated hotline fielding 30,000 calls before lunch.

By Monday afternoon, the health department said more than 7000 priority bookings had been made.

See all the exposure sites here.

Health Minister Martin Foley said the system had been “hammered” because of the “wild enthusiasm” of the cohort of about 50,000 students.

COVID-19 commander Jeroen Weimar urged the group to remain patient, reminding year 11 students studying VCE subjects they had to wait until Wednesday to book.

“Can I just assure every VCE student … there’s a dose set aside for you. There’s no frantic rush,” he said.

Premier Daniel Andrews will this week outline a plan for Melbourne schools to reopen in term four, and he has also foreshadowed releasing parts of regional Victoria from lockdown.

Melbourne will remain under tough lockdown restrictions until at least 70 per cent of eligible Victorians receive their first vaccine dose.

The state has hit 60 per cent first dose coverage and is expected to reach the 70 per cent target by about September 19, sooner than the government anticipated.

The Stawell Times-News has removed the paywall from our stories relating to health warnings and safety of the community. However, we depend on subscription revenue to support our journalism. If you are able, please subscribe here. If you are already a subscriber, thank you for your support.

Related Posts

Next Post

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Premium Content

Welcome Back!

Login to your account below

Create New Account!

Fill the forms bellow to register

Retrieve your password

Please enter your username or email address to reset your password.

Add New Playlist

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?